How To Eradicate Mold From Under Your Kitchen Sink

If a musty smell in your kitchen led you to find a colony of mold growing under the sink, then getting rid of it should be your top priority. While there are always some mold spores present in indoor and outdoor air, a colony growing in your home puts out a lot of extra spores into your living environment.

As mold spores travel throughout your home, they can lead to further mold problems and will exacerbate allergies and cause breathing problems for the people and pets.

If you have looked around your kitchen and the only area with mold is under the sink, then you can abate this colony yourself as long as you take some simple health precautions.

If the colony is growing on the floor, walls, or in additional areas of the house, then you need to have an inspection and possible remediation by a professional mold remediation service.

To get rid of the mold under your sink, follow this procedure to ensure you do it safely:

Protect Your Lungs from the Mold Spores 

When you are cleaning up a mold colony, you are at very high risk for dangerous levels of spore inhalation. For this reason, you need to protect your lungs from spores by wearing a mask or respirator.

Find the Source of the Colony's Moisture 

Mold spores occur naturally and only cause a problem when they collect in areas having the excessive moisture and darkness they need to successfully colonize. This means there is a water leak in the cabinet under your kitchen sink. It may not be a large leak and you may not hear any dripping, but something under there is leaking out enough water to promote mold growth.

Armed with your respiratory protection, look around under the sink until you find the source of the water. Common problem areas are:

  • around sink drains
  • drainage pipe connections
  • hot and cold water line connections

In addition, the connection between the hot and cold water lines for the sink sometimes leak where they are connected to the main supply lines coming out of the wall. 

Remove and Safely Dispose of Any Damaged Building Materials

If the floor under the cabinet was soaked and it is now spongy, it will need to be removed and replaced. Additionally, if any of the cabinet's wood is moist then it will also need the same. If you remove any building materials, place them in a plastic bag and seal it before placing it in your trash can. 

Fix the Leak and Remove the Mold

Now that you know what the where the source of the leak is, you need to repair it. Once fixed, wash the area under the kitchen sink with a solution of bleach and water. Thoroughly dry the area with a clean rag and leave the cabinet door open to ensure the area completely dries out.

Contact a service, like Clean Care Inc, for more help in dealing with mold.


Share